According to G Data Software, Today’s Grinch Steals Your Identity While You Shop Online
Fight Fraud with Simple Tips to make Internet Browsing Safe During the Holidays
“As this year’s Cyber Monday marked the heaviest online shopping day on record, we’re predicting a definitive spike in online fraud this holiday season. This time of year, cyber criminals are extremely active in their hunt for unsuspecting shoppers,” says Ralf Benzmüller, security expert and head of G Data Software’s Security Labs. “They often bait people by using spam e-mails with fake products and cheap prices to lure them to online shops. These online shops are rife with malware that can take a credit card number and sell it in the black market very quickly. The best protection is to use a comprehensive security solution.”
Mr. Benzmüller and G Data Software closely monitor online fraud and provides consumers with tips to stay safe while online shopping this season.
G Data’s tips for staying safe this holiday season:
- Make sure your PC is covered with an up-to-date, comprehensive security solution with a virus scanner, firewall, spam filter, and real-time protection. Ensure updates are kept current.
- Watch for security features in your browser when proceeding with a sale. The important things to look out for are: the padlock in the status bar or address line; an 'https' abbreviation before the URL; a green background in the address line in most modern browsers; and the correct top level domain being displayed.
- Look carefully at online shops before making a purchase. Check for general terms and conditions, legal and contact information; do an online search to check if the shop has been connected to any suspicious behavior.
- Make sure shipping and handling costs are clearly outlined before committing to the purchase.
- Never make online purchases from public PCs. These computers are often not adequately protected. Also avoid using public and unsecured wireless networks, as cyber criminals can use these connections to hack into data traffic.
For a free 30-day trial of G Data’s award-winning Total Care 2011, visit